(StatePoint) If your scale has become your worst enemy, it may be time to adopt a workable weight management strategy. A New Year is the perfect time to recommit oneself to health and wellness – and to shedding those extra pounds.
Experts say that fast results can help you stay motivated and see through your bigger weight loss goals.
“The best predictor of total weight loss is early weight loss,” says Dr. Anthony Fabricatore, Vice President of Research and Development at Nutrisystem. “The formula for successfully losing 30 to 40 pounds is methodically losing five pounds at a time.”
Here are some tips for losing those crucial first five pounds quickly, so you’ll be motivated to keep it up:
• Drink more water: Sometimes when you feel hungry, you’re actually thirsty. Before eating, drink water to feel fuller. Replace sugary beverages with the good stuff -- eight glasses daily is a good target.
• Convenience Counts. Life can get in the way of dieting if convenient options aren’t readily available. Have healthful ready-to-go meals and snacks on hand to stay on target, particularly during dangerous times of day when cravings tend to kick in.
• Stop guessing: Individuals make more than 200 food and beverage decisions daily, according to Cornell University researchers. Eliminate guesswork by opting for portioned, prepared metabolism-boosting meals.
For example Nutrisystem’s new My Way program, features meals free of trans fat, partially hydrogenated oils, MSG, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame and saccharine -- and which can be combined with fresh grocery choices like salad, fruit, smart proteins, low-fat yogurt and unlimited non-starchy vegetables.
For a kick start, consider their new Fast5 program, a one-week kit promising five-pound weight loss backed by a money-back guarantee. It includes seven days of breakfasts, lunches and dinners, plus shakes with formulations for men and women to meet their unique nutritional needs.
• Keep moving: Find a regular exercise regimen with which you’ll stick. Stay motivated by teaming with friends. While one of the best, low-impact and low-cost forms of exercise is walking, short, intense workouts are beneficial too.
“A single, strenuous four-minute workout is as effective to improving health and fitness as a longer workout,” says Meghan Nichols, Registered Dietician and Project Manager of Research and Development at Nutrisystem.
• Tea time: Tea contains the powerful antioxidant epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) that increases metabolism and enhances fat burning. Decaf green tea has the same fat-burning properties as the caffeinated variety.
• Get support. Friends and family can be great cheerleaders. And an expert dieting counselor can answer your questions. You can visit www.Nutrisystem.com for support, where trained counselors are available seven days a week via phone and email.
• Track progress. Tracking your journey can help you keep focus on your end goal. Make it convenient by downloading a free app you can use from your phone, that features tools to plan meals and track weight, workouts and measurements.
Give your New Year’s diet resolutions more chance for long-term success by achieving quick, modest results right out of the gate.